🇻🇳 Vietnamese Pronouns for "I" and "You" with Age Ranges
| Who is speaking | Who is being spoken to | Age Range (Speaker) | Age Range (Listener) | "I" (Tôi) Variant | "You" (Bạn) Variant |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Male (younger) | Male (older) | 10–25 | 25–40 | em | anh |
| Male (younger) | Female (older) | 10–25 | 25–40 | em | chị |
| Female (younger) | Male (older) | 10–25 | 25–40 | em | anh |
| Female (younger) | Female (older) | 10–25 | 25–40 | em | chị |
| Male (older) | Male or female (younger) | 30–50 | 10–25 | anh | em |
| Female (older) | Male or female (younger) | 30–50 | 10–25 | chị | em |
| Adult | Elderly person | 20–50 | 60+ | cháu | ông / bà |
| Adult | Child | 20–50 | 3–12 | cô / chú / bác | con / cháu |
| Same age (friendly / peers) | Friend (same gender/age) | 10–30 | 10–30 | tớ / mình | cậu / bạn |
| Formal / Neutral (safe choice) | Any age (formal, e.g. writing/email) | any | any | tôi | bạn |
✅ Notes:
-
"Em" is used when talking to someone younger or yourself when you are younger.
-
"Anh" is a respectful term for older males; "chị" for older females.
-
"Cháu" is used when talking to elders.
-
"Tớ/mình" and "cậu/bạn" are casual peer-level pronouns among friends or classmates.
-
In professional or formal settings, stick with tôi (I) and bạn (you) unless a relationship is established.
🇻🇳 Vietnamese Pronouns: "I" & "You" by Age, Gender, and Relationship
| # | Who are you? | Who are you talking to? | Your Age | Their Age | I (Tôi) variant | You (Bạn) variant | Greeting Example in Vietnamese | Meaning in English |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | Younger male/female | Older male | 10–25 | 26–50 | em | anh | Chào anh, em là Nam. | Hello brother, I’m Nam. |
| 2 | Younger male/female | Older female | 10–25 | 26–50 | em | chị | Chào chị, em tên là Linh. | Hello sister, my name is Linh. |
| 3 | Older male | Younger male/female | 30–50 | 10–25 | anh | em | Chào em, anh là Minh. | Hello (younger person), I’m Minh. |
| 4 | Older female | Younger male/female | 30–50 | 10–25 | chị | em | Chào em, chị tên là Hoa. | Hello (younger person), I’m Hoa. |
| 5 | Adult | Elderly man | 20–50 | 60+ | cháu | ông | Cháu chào ông ạ. | I greet you, grandfather. |
| 6 | Adult | Elderly woman | 20–50 | 60+ | cháu | bà | Cháu chào bà ạ. | I greet you, grandmother. |
| 7 | Adult female (e.g. teacher) | Child (boy/girl) | 25–50 | 3–12 | cô | con | Cô chào con. | Teacher greets you (child). |
| 8 | Adult male (e.g. teacher) | Child | 25–50 | 3–12 | chú | con | Chú chào con. | Uncle greets you (child). |
| 9 | Similar age (male/male) | Friend | 15–30 | 15–30 | tớ | cậu | Chào cậu, tớ là Quân. | Hi dude, I’m Quân. |
| 10 | Similar age (female/female) | Friend | 15–30 | 15–30 | mình | bạn | Chào bạn, mình tên là Trang. | Hi friend, my name is Trang. |
| 11 | Any gender (formal use) | Any age (formal use) | any | any | tôi | bạn | Chào bạn, tôi là nhân viên mới. | Hello, I am the new employee. |
🔎 Notes:
-
Chào + pronoun is the most common polite way to greet.
-
You must adjust "I" and "You" based on both age and social position (e.g. teacher, elder).
-
Tôi and bạn are polite and safe in general situations like interviews or emails.
-
Em means younger; anh/chị mean older brother/sister; cháu for speaking to elders; con for children.
-
Teachers often call themselves cô (female) or chú/thầy (male).
No comments:
Post a Comment